I considered titling this entry "Expectations Part II" as a follow up from my last post about Expectations . Whatever your expectations are for the future, here's a little message I've been pondering about my own: I don't know too many people who don't like their birthday. I just had my 31st, hence, one reason for a delay in writing and posting this week. In my life, birthdays really do keep getting better and better! I was reflecting on how sad I feel when I hear people complain about getting older or connect their number of years to a degrading quality of life. It's true that as we get older, our bodies certainly change and even, possibly, our health may decline; our energy is definitely not the same as a child's, but our capacity and wisdom will grow year by year. If we allow, our compassion expands, our love endures, and our opportunities for loyalty and faithfulness grow and develop as well. Age, in my opinion, or "aging" is such a won...
How is it with your soul? In my newly renovated instruction of what I call "mindful movement"- sessions that combine mindfulness, meditation, yoga postures, and pilates/dance strengthening exercises, I begin by asking the participants that question. I started last week, Monday morning, with a Spiritual Direction session; then, had a wonderful follow up by attending my Spiritual Director Whitney 's "Soul Care At Home Workshop". After reflecting on my personal time of wonder and encountering a community full of people who all desire the same deep care for their souls , I felt a strong affirmation in my calling to pursue the contemplative lifestyle- along with whatever that means in pursuing purposeful work in this world. Affirmation- 1. the action or process of affirming something or being affirmed. - assertion, declaration, statement, proclamation, pronouncement, confirmation, endorsement 2. emotional support or encouragement Don't we all...
At the beginning of each year, for the past six years, I have followed a local life coach's 'New Year Questions' guide. I've answered these questions now as tradition and find them to be something that I do remember, consider, and reconsider throughout the year. These questions serve as a tool to help me reflect and dream, to stay intentional, and to prayerfully consider themes for my life each year. ( You can read a brief summary about my past two years' themes in a recent post.) At the start of 2020, I answered 20 questions. One of them led me to claim this year as "A Year of Courage". Seeing as its the eighth month, the nations are in (what I would call) turmoil, there is a global pandemic, and life as we thought it would be has definitely and drastically averted from plan, I can't help but wonder what the courage is all about. Was it courageous to step out of my ballroom dance career when I was already furloughed from it? Was it courageous to start...
Comments
Post a Comment